Comprehensive Guide to Braces Care
Welcome to our comprehensive guide on caring for your braces! Taking good care of your braces is essential for achieving a beautiful, healthy smile. Whether you’re new to braces or seeking additional tips, this guide covers everything you need to know about maintaining your orthodontic appliances.
Section1: Daily Oral Hygiene Routine
- Brush your teeth after every meal, using a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Pay special attention to cleaning around the brackets and wires. Angle the brush towards the gum line to remove plaque effectively.
- Use orthodontic floss or a floss threader to clean between your teeth and under the wires.
- Floss at least once a day to prevent food particles from getting trapped and causing plaque buildup.
- Incorporate an antiseptic or fluoride mouthwash into your routine to help control bacteria. Mouthwash should be used at alternative times throughout the day and should not be used immediately after brushing!
Section 2: Diet and Nutrition
2.1 Avoid Hard and Sticky Foods:
- Steer clear of foods that can damage your braces, such as hard candies, nuts, popcorn, and chewy candies.
- Cut crunchy fruits and vegetables into small, bite-sized pieces.
2.2 Limit Sugary Snacks:
- Minimize the consumption of sugary snacks and beverages to reduce the risk of cavities and enamel damage.
- If you are going to consume a sugary snack or beverage, try to do so at regular mealtimes.
- Drink plenty of water to maintain oral health and help flush away food particles.
Section 3: Orthodontic Adjustments and Check-ups
3.1 Regular Orthodontic Visits:
- Attend scheduled appointments with your orthodontist for adjustments and progress checks.
- Communicate any concerns or issues you may be experiencing.
3.2 Emergency Care:
- In case of a broken bracket or wire, contact us immediately for guidance.
- Keep orthodontic wax on hand to temporarily address any discomfort caused by protruding wires or rough edges.
Section 4: Lifestyle Habits
- Wear a mouthguard during physical activities to protect your braces and teeth from potential trauma.
- At KW Orthodontics, we offer custom mouthguards that fit over your braces for sports’ activities.
4.2 Avoid Certain Habits:
- Refrain from chewing on pens, pencils, or fingernails to prevent damage to your braces.
Caring for your braces requires dedication and consistent effort. By following these guidelines, you can ensure a smooth and successful orthodontic journey. Remember, a healthy, beautiful smile is well worth the investment in proper care and maintenance.
There is lots more information available on how to look after your braces at the Canadian Association of Orthodontists website.